A mediator for over 25 years, Mr. Widman has handled over 100 commercial matters in a wide array of bi-lateral, multi-party, domestic and
international disputes. The American Arbitration Association has designated him a “Master Mediator”.
His success rate of 65% comes from his preparation, persistence, and yet patience in dealing with counsel and parties.
Parties use Mr. Widman because of his decades of experience as a commercial litigator and arbitrator, business background, and demeanor.
His insights enable him to assess and discuss the core risks, issues and outcomes with the parties.
Parties have entrusted to Mr. Widman claims with a total value exceeding $250 million. Mr. Widman has resolved disputes in
areas such as healthcare, construction, e-commerce, intellectual property, real estate, sales, environment, financial, licensing, and employment.
See Mediation Case List. He has addressed complex issues such as: interpretation and application of contract terms; the business objectives and
economic environment of the disputed transaction; technical aspects of projects; competing claims of breach or performance; experts’ analyses;
multi-party dynamics; equitable aspects of the dispute; statutory rights and defenses; and causation and damages.
Mr. Widman’s mediation principles are preparation, party-driven, patience, and persistence:
– becoming fully conversant with the parties’ dispute based upon study and analysis of their confidential pre-mediation submissions;
– parties are asked to select the mediation approach they prefer between facilitative, evaluative, or a blend of the two.
An evaluative or blended approach allows the parties to hear Mr. Widman’s views on the likelihood of success or failure of the parties’ claims,
defenses and positions;
– Mr. Widman’s demeanor creates a receptive and respectful environment for open and frank discussion. Mindful of the parties’ often
limited time, he sets aside adequate time for the exchanges of offers and demands. He remains available post-mediation via telephone or email to maintain
momentum if the matter did not fully settle within the allocated time; and
– even before the mediation convenes, Mr. Widman urges parties to exchange information that is necessary to informed settlements.
He searches for creative solutions that the parties had not considered, and he remains committed until all avenues of settlement are exhausted.
Affiliations And Teaching
Mr. Widman is on the mediation panels of:
the American Arbitration Association (AAA, including its Healthcare Panel)
International Centre for Dispute Resolution
- CPR: International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (including select Healthcare Panel)
- American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA)
- Illinois Circuit Courts
- ADR Systems.
He also frequently accepts and self-administers ad hoc
matters from parties and counsel. He has taught mediation for the AAA, has taught and consulted internationally, has published ten
articles on mediation and ethics, and has spoken at 20 bar association meetings and other seminars.
See Articles/Speaking List.